The human body is a complex interaction of different organs and systems, as a result, it requires a lot of things for it to function optimally. Major amongst its functioning requirement is the nutrients taken in by the body. These nutrients serve as the fuel needed to drive the body to optimal function, as such, without them, the body would be rendered totally useless. The nutrients needed by the body are classified majorly into 6 classes commonly known as; carbohydrates, protein, fats and oil, minerals, vitamins and water and they all serve their various functions in the house.
Minerals and vitamins are one of these food classes needed by the body. These two classes are jointly regarded as essential nutrients of the body as a result of the numerous and vital roles they perform in the body. Ironically, most of these nutrients are needed in little specified quantity in the body else they might pose as quite harmful to the body, hence they are also known as micronutrients.
Vitamins are known as organic compounds that can be broken down by certain factors such as heat, air or acid while minerals are inorganic compounds that retain their chemical structures. It is, therefore, more easy to get mineral nutrients into the body than it is for vitamins as exposure can quickly inactivate the vitamins.
Specific essential nutrients needed by the body
There are at least about 30 essential micronutrients needed by the body in the form of minerals, vitamins, and these nutrients cannot be self-produced by the body. Making the right decisions as regards the type of food to take in that will provide you with these nutrients, therefore, remains one very important decision to make as this decision is very key in determining how healthy your body will be. According to various studies taken, the nutrients that are oftentimes lacked by most people include; potassium, magnesium, specific types of vitamins, calcium, and fibre.
Calcium is oftentimes known as the bone-building minerals of the body. This mineral is needed more during the childhood and adolescence stage for strong bones and teeth while adults need it to maintain their bone mass. As such it is expected that there should be an intake of approximately 1,136 mg of calcium each day.
This is another micronutrient of the body, Magnesium is known to aid the production of energy, and also aid proper functioning of muscles, heart, and arteries of the body. As such, it is expected that there should be an intake of about 380 mg each day.
Potassium is a good source of nutrients for maintaining a healthy level of blood pressure in individuals. As such, the average quantity of potassium expected to be taken in each day is about 4,044mg per day.
Vitamins (A, C, D)
Vitamin A is a very good nutrient for the development of good vision and cellular growth and maintenance. Vitamin C aid collagen formation in the body, thereby promoting the function of the blood vessels, bones, cartilages and muscles. Vitamin D, on the other hand, is needed to aid calcium absorption thereby promoting the development of strong bones and teeth. An average of about 600 international units of vitamin D is needed each day for proper functioning.
Effect of lack of these nutrients in the body
Generally, an insufficient amount of these essential nutrients in the body can be responsible for a number of conditions such as;
Scurvy; which occurs as a result of an inadequate supply of Vitamin C in the body. Symptoms of this condition include bleeding in the gum.
Rickets; with symptoms such as soft bones leading to the occurrence of skeletal deformities such as bowed legs or knock knees, rickets often times occur as a result of a deficiency in the intake of vitamin D into the body.
Blindness; instances of individuals getting blind as a result of vitamin A deficiency is still a largely occurring event in many parts of the world today.
Natural ways to get these nutrients into your body
Ensuring that these substances are gotten into the body, therefore, remains really important for individuals; especially that it is done in more natural ways. The best natural way to get these nutrients into your body is to consume these superfoods:
- Turmeric; turmeric is beneficial to the body because by consuming it you are supplying your body with minerals such as manganese, phosphorus, and potassium, it is also a known source of ‘curcumin’ which is a magical nutrient that is very instrumental in keeping you strong and healthy.
- Chaga mushrooms; this is a great source of a number of Siberian chaga vitamins such as the B-complex vitamins, Vitamin D, and also some mineral types such as potassium, iron, magnesium, and calcium. Its consumption will, therefore, help to provide the body with these nutrients types for body development.
- Chia seeds; are great sources of essential minerals to the body. The most abundant types of minerals contained in this superfood are Manganese which will aid metabolism in the body, phosphorus which enhances bone health and tissue maintenance, calcium which is necessary for bones, muscles and nerve development.
- Seafood; The consumption of different types of seafood is a great supply of calcium into the body, of which you can get approximately about 325mg of calcium into the body.
- Vegetables and nuts; are great sources of magnesium into the body, thereby helping to enhance metabolism in the body.
It is should be noted that it is most advisable for individuals to discuss with their physician before taking any step as regards their health, especially when it comes to taking extra supplement pills to aid the intake of these vitamin and mineral nutrients.